Samosas are a popular Indian appetizer and are a savory treat. The traditional samosa is triangular shaped. It is generally made up of beaten flour and filled with various ingredients. Typically samosas are fried before serving. The most popular version is the one filled with mashed potatoes and spices. The traditional samosa does not fit into the keto diet. I wanted to create a low carb version that would fit into my keto lifestyle. This version of the samosa is made with a spiced cauliflower mash stuffed into a modified fathead dough crust that cooked in an air fryer. I also have a recipe for a deep fried keto cocktail samosa that is also very delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
Keto Air Fryer Samosa Instructions
There are two parts to the recipe, the first part will go through making the filling and the second part will go through making the paratha.
The first step is to make the filling so that it is ready when each individual samosa is made. There are many recipes leveraging cauliflower as a mashed potato alternatives. I took inspiration from these recipes and made adjustments as the potato filling used in a traditional samosa is not as creamy.
Cauliflower is the main ingredient and this recipe uses 1/2 a head of cauliflower chopped into florets. There are two methods to cook the cauliflower florets so that it can be mashed.
METHOD 1: STEAM IN THE MICROWAVE
I used a Pasta Boat with a steamer attachment to seperate the water from the cauliflower. Any microwave steamer will work. If you do not have a steamer device for the microwave, you can put in a 1/4 cup of water in a bowl and add the cauliflower and cover with a plate or plastic lid. Heat the cauliflower in the steamer for 10 minutes.
If you did use a bowl with a plate to cover, make sure to drain all the water that is left.
METHOD 2: COOK CAULIFLOWER IN BOILING WATER
Then bring 4-6 cups of water to a boil. Then add cauliflower florets to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until cauliflower is soft. You should be able to mash a floret with a fork. When done use a strainer to drain the water.
Then transfer the cauliflower florets to a large bowl. Then add the 2 oz of cream cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and start mixing with a large spoon. Once the ingredients are well incorporated, take a masher and mash the cauliflower. You do not want to over-mash as you do not want it too creamy like mashed potatoes, but more rough to have the same consistency of the traditional potato filling.
ADD SPICES AND OTHER INGREDIENTS
Take a large pot on the stove and heat on medium. Then add 2 tbsp of olive oil and spread across the bottom and let it heat up. Then add the mustard seeds first, then the onions, chilies, ginger, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Cook until onions start to become translucent but make sure they do not turn brown. Onions can be cut down if you really want to further lower the per serving carb count. Then add the turmeric and salt and mix until everything becomes yellow.
FINALIZING THE CAULIFLOWER FILLING
Then add the cauliflower mash and mix together well with the other ingredients in the pot. It should turn out with the cauliflower mash turning yellow in color spread out evenly. Then set the cauliflower filling aside as it will be used in making the samosa.
Keto Air Fryer Samosa
In a bowl heat 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1 tbsp of butter in microwave for 30 seconds. Then mix well and heat another 45 seconds in the microwave. Then add almond flour and 1 large egg to bowl and mix well with hands or silicone spatula until dough forms. If the dough gets stringy, heat in microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Then divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Take each piece and roll into a ball shape. Then between two sheets of parchment paper use tortilla press to make round flattened dough. Cut in 1/2 into two semi-circles. Take the semi-circle dough and form a cone. Then fill with about 1 tbsp of filling and seal the bottom. Repeat to make 8 samosas. Then place samosas in Air Fryer and cook for 10 minutes at 375°F
If you do not have a tortilla press, you can flatten the dough by placing between two sheets of parchment paper and using a rolling pin. If you do not have a silicone spatula and use your hands create the dough, wet hands with water to prevent from sticking to them.
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these.
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup red onions - chopped
- 3 chili green chilies - chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger - chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro - chopped
- 2 leaves curry leaves - chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt - adjust to taste
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- Bring 3 to 4 cups of water to a boil. Microwave option is also available to steam cauliflower and described below. No need to bring water to boil if microwave option is used.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and wash
- Put cauliflower florets into boiling water and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until florets are soft. Alternatively, cauliflower can be steamed in microwave using a steamer or pasta boat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When done, put cauliflower in a strainer and drain all water (boiling method).
- Quickly transfer cauliflower to a bowl while it is still hot.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and parmesan cheese.
- Start by mixing well to spread out the ingredients evenly.
- Use a masher to mash the cauliflower.
- Set aside mashed cauliflower
- Heat a pot on a stove with 2 tbsp olive oil
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds,
- Then add onions, chilies, cilantro, curry leaves and ginger.
- Cook until onions are translucent stirring intermittently (make sure it doesn't turn brown).
- Then add the turmeric and salt
- Mix well until whole mixture is yellow
- Now add the cauliflower that was set aside.
- Keep mixing to evenly distribute the mix and the whole palya/sabji is an even yellow color.
- In a bowl heat 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1 tbsp of butter in microwave for 45 seconds
- Mix well and heat another 45 seconds in the microwave
- Add almond flour and 1 large egg to bowl
- Mix well with hands or silicone spatula until dough forms. If the dough gets stringy, heat in microwave for an additional 30 seconds
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces
- Take each piece and roll into a ball shape. Then between two sheets of parchment paper use tortilla press to make round flattened dough.
- Cut in 1/2 into two semi-circles. Take the semi-circle dough and form a cone. Fill with about 1 tbsp of filling and seal the bottom. Repeat to make 8 samosas.
- Place samosas in Air Fryer and cook for 10 minutes at 375°F
- If you do not have a tortilla press, you can flatten the dough by placing between two sheets of parchment paper and using a rolling pin.
- If you do not have a silicone spatula and use your hands create the dough, wet hands with water to prevent from sticking to them.
If you want to try a deep fried keto cocktail samosa check out the following link.
How did the Keto Air Fryer Samosa turn out for you. Please share in the comments below.
2 thoughts on “Keto Air Fryer Samosa”