Biryani is a very popular in India. It contains meat, rice and spices. This predominantly rice dish is not possible to enjoy in a keto carb restricted diet. However, riced cauliflower is a very good alternative to traditional rice. My keto chicken biryani uses a traditional recipe swapping out the rice with cauliflower rice to make it a low carb keto friendly option.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
Marination for Keto Chicken Biryani
The first step is to marinate the chicken. In a bowl mix 1/2 pound chicken with 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp crushed dry fenugreek leaves, 1/2 tsp ginger paste, 1/2 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp yogurt, 1 tbsp biryani masala and 1/4 tsp salt. Then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
I use Shan brand biryani masala. Any biryani masala can be used for this recipe. It can be found at Indian grocery stores and is also available at Amazon.
Prep Cauliflower Rice, Whole Garam Masala and Hard Boiled Egg
While the chicken is marinating, it is a good time to prep some of the ingredients needed to complete the keto chicken biryani.
Cauliflower rice is one of the main ingredients. Now, it is widely available in grocery stores in the frozen section. I use cauliflower rice from Costco that comes in a four pound bag split into four one pound frozen bags. This recipe, I use the one pound bag of cauliflower rice. You can use an alternate brand, but make sure to use about a pound of cauliflower rice.
An alternative if you want a cheaper version or if cauliflower rice is not available is to make it yourself. You can clean and cut a head of caulflower into florets. Then put the florets into a blender to make it into rice. For this recipe, use one pound and freeze the extra to use for some other time. Alternatively, use the recipe card to 2x or 3x the recipe and it will adjust the ingredients needed depending on your needs.
Whole Garam Masala
In a bowl we will add the ingredients for the whole garam masala that will be used to cook the biryani. Get a small bowl ready. Then add a four black peppercorns, two cloves, one star anise, one cinnamon stick, one bay leaf and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Then set aside.
Hard Boiled Egg
This is optional but is great for garnishing the keto chicken biryani. Just hard boil an egg as you normally would and set aside.
Cooking the Keto Chicken Biryani
First, we will get the sliced onions ready for garnishing. Heat a pot on the stove on medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Then add 1/4 cup of sliced onions and saute until soft. Then transfer to a bowl and set aside to be used as garnishing.
In the same pot, add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Add the whole garam masala that we set aside earlier. Then add 1/3 cup sliced onions and stir. Then add 1 tsp garlic paste and 1 tsp ginger paste and stir. Add 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes and stir. Then add 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves and stir. Then add 1 tbsp biryani masala and stir. Next, we will add the marinated chicken to the pot and mix well. Then cover with lid and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or chicken is about 3/4 cooked.
Then we will add the one pound of cauliflower rice and mix well. Next add 1/4 tsp salt that can be adjusted to taste. Then cover with lid and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or chicken is fully cooked.
Then we will garnish with cooked sliced onions from earlier step, hard boiled egg and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. This makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup onions - sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg - hard boiled (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- In a bowl mix chicken, turmeric, chili powder, fenugreek leaves, ginger paste, garlic paste, lemon juice, yogurt, salt, biryani masala.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Prep whole garam masala, cauliflower rice and hard boiled egg
- Make whole garam masala in a small bowl by adding cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise, cloves, black peppercorns and cumin seeds. Set aside.
- If using frozen cauliflower rice, heat up 1 lbs as per instructions. If making own cauliflower rice, clean and cut 1 lbs cauliflower into florets and turn to rice in a blender. Set aside.
- Hard boil an egg for garnishing. This is optional.
- Heat pot on medium heat on stove
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and saute 1/4 cup onions until soft.
- Transfer to bowl and set aside to use for garnishing
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add whole garam masala that was set aside in previous steps (cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise, cloves, black peppercorns and cumin seeds) and stir.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped onions and stir.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste and stir.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves and stir.
- Add 1 tbsp biryani masala and stir.
- Add 1/2 lbs marinated chicken and stir.
- Cover with lid and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes until chicken is 3/4 cooked.
- Add 1 lbs cauliflower rice and mix.
- Add 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste).
- Cover with lid and stir occasionally and cook for about 5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add sliced onions.
- Add hard boiled egg cut in half along long axis.
- Add coriander leaves.
Let us know how this keto chicken biryani turned out for you in the comments below.