Roaming around the malls and stopping by Auntie Anne’s and picking up pretzel dog was one of my favorite treats. I created a recipe replacing the carb heavy pretzel covering with a modified fathead dough that satisfies my cravings with a low carb keto friendly version of a keto pretzel dog.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
This keto pretzel dog recipe is easy to make and many on the keto diet are familiar with making the fathead dough. This dough is versatile and can be used for many things like pizza or flatbreads. Check out my pizza recipes like the keto chicken basil pizza or the keto mutton kheema pizza. Also check out my flatbreads like the keto paneer stuffed paratha or the keto mutton kheema stuffed paratha.
Preheating the oven
If you are using an oven, preheat it to 400°F. If you are using an air fryer, then you can skip this step.
Making the Fathead Dough
I use a modified fathead dough for the pretzel covering. I replace the cream cheese with butter and like the buttery taste it brings. First step is to take 1 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 tbsp of butter and microwave for 45 seconds. It is important to use low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese available at the grocery stores. Cut up the butter into four pieces and spread throughout the cheese. Then, quickly mix and microwave for another 45 seconds. Take out of the microwave and quickly mix well.
Then add 3/4 cup almond flour and 1 large egg and mix well. I use a silicone spatula to mix as it does not stick. If using your hands, wet with water to reduce the dough from sticking to your hands. You can substitute almond flour with 1/4 cup coconut flour if you want to reduce calories. Continue to mix until a smooth dough is formed. If you do take a long time and dough appears to be stringy, you can microwave for another 30 seconds in the microwave.
Take the dough and put on parchment paper or silpat on top of a baking tray. Use your hands to roll the dough and flatten into a ribbon shape. The ribbon shaped dough should be 1.5x the length of the hot dog. Now wrap the hot dog diagonally with the dough. Then repeat this for the remaining three hot dogs making a total of four keto pretzel dogs.
Cooking the Keto Pretzel Dog
There are two options to cook the keto pretzel dog. Option 1 is in the oven. Cook on top of silpat or parchment paper on a baking tray at 400°F for 15 minutes. Option 2 is to cook in the air fryer. Place the pretzel dog on top of parchment paper and place in the air fryer. Cook at 400°F for 8 minutes.
You can refrigerate the keto pretzel dog and it should last a week. To reheat, it can be done in an air fryer at 375°F for 3 minutes. It can also be reheated in the microwave or oven.
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp butter - unsalted
- 1 egg - large
- 4 hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Put mozzarella cheese and butter in a bowl. Cut the 1 tbsp butter into 4 small pieces.
- Cook in microwave for 45 seconds. Stir cheese and butter with silicone spatula. Cook another 45 seconds.
- Then mix with silicone spatula. The mozzarella cheese should appear smooth.
- Add the almond flour and egg to the mozzarella cheese mix.
- Mix and fold until the almond flour and egg are well incorporated into the mozzarella dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts. Put on silicone mat/parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick until 1.5x the length of the hot dog and flatten
- Wrap the hot dog with dough diagonally.
- Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes at 400°F or Air Fry on parchment paper at 400°F for 8 minutes.
- The dough gets very sticky. Wet hands with water if you do not have a silicone spatula to mix the almond flour and eggs into the mozzarella cheese and butter.
- If you do not have a silpat, you can use parchment paper instead.
- The traditional fathead dough recipe uses cream cheese. I replaced with butter to achieve a more buttery taste.