Chilly chicken is a popular Indo-Chinese dish that can be served as an appetizer or part of the main course. This dish is spicy and crispy with a tinge of sweetness.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
This keto chilly chicken recipe swaps out the all purpose flour with unflavored whey protein powder to maintain the crispiness. If you do not have unflavored whey protein you can substitute with the same amount of almond flour.
Unflavored whey protein is a must have in the pantry when on keto. It is a versatile ingredient to replace all purpose flour for the purpose of maintaining the crispiness of when swapping ingredients to make a recipe keto friendly. Check out my keto chicken nuggets loosely based on KFC spices made with unflavored whey protein.
Mix 1 pound of boneless chicken thighs cut in cubes and add 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 3 tbsp unflavored whey protein powder. Substitute whey protein with 3 tbsp almond flour if you do not have unflavored whey protein.
Deep Fry Chicken
Set deep fryer to 300°C and cook chicken for 4-5 minutes. Alternatively, can deep fry on stove top on medium heat. Set Aside.
Finalize Keto Chilly Chicken
Heat pan on stove on medium heat. Add olive oil and then add the garlic and stir. Then add onions and stir well and cook until soft. Add green and red bell peppers. Then and green chilies and stir well. Then add soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sriracha sauce and stir. Add the deep fried chicken that was set aside and mix well. Garnish the keto chilly chicken with green onions.
- 1 lbs chicken - boneless, skinless thighs cut in cubes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp whey protein powder - unflavored
- 1 tsp garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup onions - chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper - chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper - chopped
- 2 green chilies - -each cut in half
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp green onions - chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil - total 2 cups for deep frying, 1/2 cup consumed into chicken for nutritional information
- In a bowl mix chicken, egg, black pepper powder, chilly powder, salt and unflavored whey protein powder. (NOTE: 3 tbsp protein powder can be substituted with 3 tbsp almond flour)
- Mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Deep Fry Chicken
- Set deep fryer to 300°C and cook chicken for 4-5 minutes. Alternatively, can deep fry on stove top on medium heat. Set Aside.
- Heat pan on stove on medium heat
- Add olive oil and then add the garlic and stir.
- Add onions and stir.
- Add green and red bell peppers and green chilies. Stir.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sriracha sauce and stir.
- Add the deep fried chicken that was set aside and mix well.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Can substitute unflavored whey protein with equal amount of almond flour.
How did the keto chilly chicken recipe turn out for you? Let us know in the comments below.