Amritsari fish pakora is a lightly battered fried fish with Indian spices and it originated from the city it is named after, Amritsar. It is in Punjab in India and typically known for the variety of tandoori dishes and curries. They are also famous for this Amritsari fish pakora and it can be argued it is as popular as tandoori chicken. Typically it is made with freshwater fish but I used catfish. Tilapia or any other mild fish can be used to make this recipe. The traditional recipe uses besan or gram flour. To cut down the carbs from these flours, I replaced it with almond flour to help maintain the crispiness we are used to for this keto amritsari fish pakora recipe. Then I used traditional spices that can be used as they have negligible carbs. If you prefer salmon try my tandoori salmon recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
Prepare Keto Amritsari Fish Pakora
In a large bowl add 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp crushed fenugreek leaves, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp carom seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste,1 egg, 1 tsp lime juice and 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste). Then add catfish and mix well. Then, add almond flour and mix. It is easier to mix with hand, but can use utensil. Refrigerate for at least an hour before frying.
Then heat oil to 350°F and deep fry for 4-5 minutes. Then you can garnish the keto amritsari fish pakora with chaat masala.
Chaat masala can be found at any Indian grocery store and is optional. If a deep fryer is not available, can be deep fried on stove top.
- 1 tsp chaat masala - optional
- In a large bowl add chili powder, crushed fenugreek leaves, coriander powder, carom seeds, turmeric, yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, egg, lime juice and salt
- Add catfish and mix well
- Add almond flour and mix. Easier to mix with hand, but can use utensil.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour
- Heat oil to 350°F
- Deep fry for 4-5 minutes
- Garnish with chaat masala
- Chaat masala can be found at any Indian grocery store and is optional
- If a deep fryer is not available, can be deep fried on stove top.
Let us know how this keto Amritsari fish pakora recipe works out for you. Share your experience in the comments below.