I always enjoy creative fusion food options. This keto mutton kheema pizza is one of my favorite fusion foods, combining an Indian mutton kheema (mince) with an American pizza. When Pizza Hut first came to India they had a spicy mutton kheema pizza that was delicious. I wanted to recreate this with a keto version. I used my modified fathead pizza base and made this pizza. The pizza has a coriander mint sauce topped with mutton kheema, mozzarella cheese, onions, bell peppers and green chilies. The pizza was delicious. If you are looking for chicken, you can replace the mutton mince with chicken mince or check out my keto chicken basil pesto pizza.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission.
The keto mutton kheema pizza has four parts to this recipe. This step by step recipe goes through making the mutton kheema, then creating the coriander mint sauce, the pizza base and finally putting it all together with the toppings.
Prep the Mutton Kheema (mince)
The first step is to make the mutton kheema to top the pizza. This is cooked on a pan on the stove on medium heat. First, add 2 tbsp olive oil, or oil of choice while the pan heats up. Then add 1/2 cup chopped onions and stir until soft. Add a tsp of garlic paste and ginger paste each and stir. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp salt and mix well. At this point add the mutton mince and mix well with onions and spices. Then add 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp coriander powder. Stir occasionally until mutton is fully cooked. Set aside for topping the keto mutton kheema pizza.
Prep the Coriander Mint Pizza Sauce
In a blender bowl add 1/2 cup coriander, 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1 green chili, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tbsp water and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend the ingredients into a pizza sauce like consistency. If the sauce is too thick, can add another tablespoon of water. Set aside for using on the pizza.
Prep the Pizza Base
I use a modified fathead dough for the pizza base. I replace the cream cheese with butter and like the buttery taste it brings especially making the crust taste delicious by itself. First step is to take 1 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 tbsp of butter and microwave for 45 seconds. It is important to use low moisture shredded mozzarella cheese available at the grocery stores. Cut up the butter into four pieces and spread throughout the cheese. Then, quickly mix and microwave for another 45 seconds. Take out of the microwave and quickly mix well.
Then add 3/4 cup almond flour and 1 large egg and mix well. I use a silicone spatula to mix as it does not stick. If using your hands, wet with water to reduce the dough from sticking to your hands. You can substitute almond flour with 1/4 cup coconut flour if you want to reduce calories. Continue to mix until a smooth dough is formed. If you do take a long time and dough appears to be stringy, you can microwave for another 30 seconds in the microwave.
Take the dough and put on parchment paper or silpat on top of a pizza tray or baking tray. I use the silicone spatula to flatten the dough. I push it outwards making a circular shape on the pizza tray. If using a baking tray, you can make it rectangular shaped. It should be about 1/8 of an inch thick evenly. At the end I push in the edges to form a slightly raised crust. Then you will bake the pizza base at 400° F for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, it should be starting to brown at spots, take it out of the oven to put on the toppings.
Topping the pizza
First spread the prepared coriander mint sauce all over the top of the pizza. Then add the prepared mutton kheema on top of the sauce. Add 4 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese evenly on top of the pizza. Then add the sliced onions, bell peppers and green chilies spread out evenly on top of the pizza. I then add an additional 2 oz of shredded mozzarella chesse so the toppings stick well once done baking. Put the pizza back in the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
Enjoy your Keto Mutton Kheema Pizza!
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 1 tbsp butter - unsalted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 onions - sliced
- 4 green chilies - sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper - sliced
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese - shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Heat pan on stove on medium heat and add olive oil
- Add onions and stir. Cook until softened.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and stir.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and lemon juice and stir.
- Add salt and stir.
- Add mutton kheema (mince) and stir.
- Add cumin powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Cook until mutton done and set aside.
Coriander Mint Pizza Sauce
- In a blender bowl add coriander, mint leaves, garlic paste, green chilies, salt and water.
- Blend into a sauce and set aside.
- In a bowl add mozzarella cheese (shredded) and 1 tbsp butter cut into 4 cubes and spread evenly.
- Microwave for 45 seconds and then mix.
- Microwave for another 45 seconds and mix.
- Add almond flour and egg and mix well with silicone spatula until flour and egg are well incorporated into the cheese creating a dough.
- The dough is ready when smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a pizza tray or baking sheet on top of parchment paper or silpat.
- Flatten the dough outwards into a circular shape with silicone spatula or palm of hand. Push in the edges to create a crust.
- Poke holes with a fork throughout the dough to minimize bubbling while baking.
- Bake in oven at 400°F for 10 minutes. At 5 minutes check for bubbling and deflate by using a fork.
- After 10 minutes take out pizza base from oven to add toppings.
- Add the coriander mint sauce evenly on the top of the pizza base.
- Add the mutton kheema (mince) spread evenly on top of the sauce.
- Add 4 oz of mozzarella cheese evenly across pizza base.
- Add the sliced onions, red bell peppers, and green chilies evenly across the pizza.
- Add another 2 oz of mozzarella cheese evenly on top of the pizza.
- Put back in oven and bake at 400°F for an additional 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- When done, take out of oven, wait a few minutes for cheese to cool and cut into 8 slices and enjoy!
- You can use silpat instead of parchment paper
- If you do not have a silicone spatula, you can use your hands to mix the dough for the pizza base. Be careful as the mozzarella cheese and butter will be hot. To prevent dough from sticking to your hands, wet hands with water.
- If you want to use a tomato based sauce, Rao’s brand sauces tend to have lower carbs.
- For the pizza base, you can swap out 3/4 cup almond flour with 1/4 cup coconut flour.
Let us know how the keto mutton kheema pizza came out for you in the comments below.